Saturday, April 30, 2005

An explorer of souls and cities

After this week, I realized why I like traveling so much. It's not really the destination or the place. No, don't get me wrong. I mean, yeah I really enjoy the beauty of each place I've passed by, and absolutely, I've loved meeting the people there, both locals and travelers like myself.

I don't know what it is, but I think I just really revel in the unknown, the journey to get there. We were on the bus leaving Athens, and my brother said, do you know where this bus goes? And I remember shrugging, um, I think it goes to Corfu. I'm pretty sure it goes to Corfu. Really, are you sure. No, but I'm pretty sure.

And I was giddy happy. I was happy being on this crazy bus with people speaking a foreign language, going somewhere I've never been to, or at least I thought it was going there.

When we left Gin's house in the Amalfi coast, we had a rough idea that we were going to Athens, and that was all. We were gonna try to make it there, but I don't think I would have minded if we ended up somewhere else.

So I think I just learned something about myself. Or relearned. That I am really a crazy and potentially unsafe travel partner.

Oh, and I took the title of this post from Jack Kerouac's Mexico City Blues, 33rd Chorus:
... I'm an idealist
who has outgrown
my idealism
I have nothing to do
the rest of my life
but do it
and the rest of my life
to do it...
Such a beautiful book. Get a copy. I recommend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home